To obtain the NPLQ (8th Edition) practical skills will need to be demonstrated, plus a knowledge and understanding of the full syllabus of skills to the required standard through continual assessment.
Minimum of 36 contact hours of theory and practical training prior to assessment (not including breaks) plus an additional 1.5 hours if AED is included. A further 100% attendance is required.
Completed exercises in The Lifeguard manual.
The course is made up of 3 sections:
- The lifeguard, swimming pool and supervision
- Intervention, Rescue and Emergency action plan
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, AED and First Aid.
Candidates must bee able to meet the following fitness criteria:
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back
- In deep water, tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out unaided without ladder/steps.
TRAINING EXEMPTIONS THROUGH ACCREDITATION PRIOR TO LEARNING (APL)
Exemptions may apply to holders of the following awards (at the trainers discretion and only if it does not cause disruption to other candidates)
- Current RLSS UK National Beach Lifeguard Qualification – 12 hours
- Current First Aid certificate or Occupational First Aid Certificate – 9 hours
- Current STA NARS Qualification – 9 hours
- A maximum 12 hours APL may be claimed.
To claim these exemptions, original documents must be produced to support this. If a candidate is unable to demonstrate a skill or show knowledge to a satisfactory standard, the exemption will not be allowed.
NPLQ RENEWAL CANDIDATES
Candidates may be able to renew their qualification if:
- Provide written or electronic documents of having completed a minimum of 20 hours training within the validity period of the qualification.
- Hold a current NPLQ
- Have access to the most up to date copy of The Lifeguard
- There are spaces on the assessment.
All candidates must be aged 16 and over.
Courses may be canceled due to insufficient numbers. In theses instances, a refund or booking on the next available course is offered.